Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Road to clearance

I've decided to take a post to elaborate something I mentioned in my last post...not being "medically cleared" to row.

Here's the story. When I was a junior, I began being able to occasionally feel my heart beating in my chest, but not in a way you'd expect. I felt my heart almost feel like it was dropping for a second, then bounce back. It's hard to describe the exact sensation, but it was happening a lot. I decided to go get an EKG (electrocardiogram) done of my heart. Basically, you lie on a table and they stick a bunch of wires to your chest and capture your heart beat. My EKG came back as normal, and they told me I probably was just having too much coffee.

FLASH FORWARD TO THIS YEAR. Freshman rowers had a physical before practices started, and we had to fill out a questionnaire. One question was, "Have you ever had an EKG?" I checked yes. When I met the doctor, he told me that they wanted to be sure my heart was really okay and scheduled me for three different tests: another EKG, an Echocardiogram (a heart ultrasound) and a treadmill stress echo test (you run on a treadmill until you're really tired and then they instantly do another Echocardiogram of your heart while its beating hard).

I have my final appointment on Monday to see if i'll be cleared or not. Fingers crossed!
The Echocardiogram machine

Hospital gown selfies!


No comments:

Post a Comment